Monday, May 7, 2012

WOOOOOOO.

I am a freaking marathoner! I will write that post in a little, but I just wanted to share some quotes from Amby Burfoot's novel "The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life." I started it a while ago, but I finished it (appropriately) the night before the Pittsburgh Marathon.

Heeeeere we go...

"Running is the most vigorous exercise known to science. It forces your heart to pump vast quantities of blood throughout your body--including your brain. So the brain's getting all this oxygen at a time when it doesn't have any work to do. You're just running. You're not putting together business plans, solving quadratic equations, or trying to keep your drive from slicing off the fairway. No wonder the brains spins out the most fantastical thoughts while you're running."

"What will we do, I wonder, to keep in touch with ourselves? For me, the answer is that I run. Because it keeps me fully tuned, both physically and mentally."

"In the race to be your best, there is no losing."

"'The most important thing I learned is that there is only one runner in this race, and that is me.'-George Sheehan"

"'If you can fill the unforgiving minute/With sixty seconds' worth of distance run/Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it/And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my song!'-Rudyard Kipling's 'Time'"

"'It takes all the running you can do to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that.-Red Queen, 'Through the Looking Glass'"


Such a wonderful book. I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment